Loka's rulers were consistently the biggest and most unified land seigneury in Kranjska. Their origin reaches back to 973 when the German emperor Oton II. gave to Abraham, Bishop of Freising, Loka (nowadays Stara Loka (Old Loka), Selška and Poljanska dolina (valley) and Sorško polje (field). Loka seigneury lasted to 1803 when the Habsburg monarchy took it over. There are six very important for Škofja Loka Bishops of Freising presented, the deed of donation of Oton II., Loka's coat-of-arms on the tablet of Wolfgang Schwarz, the relief of Loka's territory, Freising's coat-of-arms and brižinski spomeniki (Manuscripts).